The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Breaking News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Working as a cafeteria worker

A challenging job

Have you ever wondered what it’s like to work as a cafeteria worker?

Believe it or not, it involves a lot of hard work. Lisa Price, a cafeteria worker, shared her experience, stating that, “I love the hours, time off, and interacting with the kids.” However, she also mentioned that it can be challenging, especially when they are short-staffed, which happens quite often.

One aspect of the job that adds to the stress is the training for safety procedures. Price stated that, “We have to take several classes, including an 8-hour food safety handler course. This course consists of 100 questions, and passing it is necessary to obtain a certificate.” The purpose of this training is to ensure that all employees are aware of and follow safety protocols. Even regular employees have to attend 15-minute classes 30 times over the course of a year.

Rebecca Clark, another cafeteria worker, also mentioned that “At the beginning of each year, all food service employees come together for a sanitation course where guidelines are reviewed.”

These guidelines are essential to maintain cleanliness and hygiene in the cafeteria.There are also restrictions on what cafeteria workers can give out to students. Clark stated that,“Government regulations now require reduced sugar and sodium content in school meals, among other restrictions.”

Unfortunately, many school workers, including cafeteria workers, are extremely underpaid, leading to a shortage of staff. Price expressed her frustration about this issue but also shared some positive news. She revealed that all employees will be receiving a $3 to $4 raise. Price stated, “We are finally going to get paid more than what McDonald’s does.” Additionally, the manager and assistant manager will finally receive dental and eye care benefits.

Working as a cafeteria worker is no easy task. It involves hard work, extensive training, and adherence to strict guidelines. However, recent developments such as pay raises and improved

benefits provide some hope for these dedicated workers.

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.