The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Breaking News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Student executive council overcomes pumpkin problem

Junior Conner Spolyar pays to smash a pumpkin to recoup losses from the pumpkin decorating event earlier this month. Photographer: Jesiah Harris.

Student council was working on throwing this event for a while and they finally pulled it off. The Jack O’Lantern Jamboree was held on October 29th at 2:00 in the afternoon. The event was held at Anderson High School in the school’s cafeteria. During the event people in the Anderson School’s community were able to come in and enjoy pumpkin painting, a movie, socializing, and concessions. The purpose for the event was to be able to have fun before Halloween and to get into Halloween spirit.

Setting up the event took a lot of work for the student executive council, especially when it came to everything they had to do with the pumpkins. Setting up the event wasn’t as easy as some may think. Freshman Kadeesh Bridgeman says, “The only challenging thing about setting up was moving all the pumpkins and cleaning them and picking them.” It took many days to set up the event fully. Bridgeman said, “We cleaned 250 pumpkins, then had to clean more whenever we found the time during the school day or after school.”

Even though the event wasn’t as successful as people wanted it to be, the event might occur again in the future, with some changes of course. Some things that might change, according to freshman Marykate Short, are “not getting as many pumpkins.” Another thing that’ll change according to Bridgeman is how th

Junior Wura Olorunfemi smashes a pumpkin on a white tarp in the student parking lot. Photographer: Jesiah Harris.

e event is advertised and who it was advertised to. One of the main reasons the event wasn’t as successful was because it wasn’t advertised to elementary schools as much as it needed to be.

The leftover pumpkins are probably the biggest problem the student council has to deal with. But they are handling that surprisingly well because according to Bridgeman there will be a pumpkin smash for leftover pumpkins. This event is expected to have a much better turn out then the Jamboree and is expected to earn back most of the money they have spent on the Jamboree.
The pumpkin smash will occur November 8 in the football practice field. Students can buy pumpkins to smash during lunches for $4. Teachers can purchase a pumpkin for a discounted rate of $3.

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.