The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Breaking News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Teen crimes rising in Anderson and across the country

Recently more and more crimes involving teenagers are happening across the U.S. Block parties are part of the reason for this increase. There have been more shootings and some teens have been shot and killed at large gatherings in cities across America.

Block parties are outside parties where teenagers gather together to see friends. However, teens also have drugs like cannabis and alcohol. 

Block parties have also been locations for gang activity.  On November 24, 2023 a teenager was shot and killed on the 200th block of Jackson St. in Anderson. He was rushed to the hospital and pronounced dead. The teenager was 15-year-old Julian Craig. His death marked the third homicide in Anderson for this year. No one has been arrested in connection with his death. 

I spoke with Anderson Police Department officer Rico Rea about crimes in Anderson. Although he does not have a lot of experience when it comes to violent crimes with teenagers, he believes that throughout the years he will encounter several violent crimes involving juveniles.

“When a shooting happens every unit makes their way to the area of where the shooting occurred,” Rea said. “They set the perimeter to locate any suspects that may have run from the area. They’ll also have medics close by in case anyone has been shot, and they interview potential witnesses.”

Crimes committed by people under the age of 18 have increased to higher than ever before in Indianapolis.  According to Statisa, about 42% of serious violent crime victims are at the age of 12-18. 35% of murder victims also fall in this age range. These statistics are surprising given that people age 12-24 make up only 22% of the population

A person aged 13-17 is more likely to be a victim of violent crime than someone 65+. On March 30 of this year, seven teenager between the ages of 12-17 were injured in a shooting outside of Circle Center Mall in Indianapolis.

In 2022, 17 out of every 1,000 teenagers were arrested for some sort of violent crime, according to Statista. Most teens in the U.S have have been using guns in violent crimes, illegal guns has been getting into the streets more and more.

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.