The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Breaking News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

School districts try different approaches to school shootings

School shootings have been increasing within recent years. Many students have been killed because of these shootings. Some factors that influence school shootings are bullying, cyber-bullying, or bad mental health.]

Anderson High School Principal Scott Shimer gave some feedback on how AHS can protect students and teachers from school shootings.

“Anderson High School is limited to 3-5 police officers everyday just in case something happens like a fight or a shooting.”

Students in Mr. Biller’s class practice an active shooter drill.

Indiana allows school corporations to decide if teachers can have a safe box for a gun in their classes for them to access in case of emergency. According to the IndyStar, Randolph Central School Corporation allows for an armed response team. “Anderson Community Schools Corporation doesn’t currently allow teachers to have guns,” said Shimer.

Some people think teachers should carry guns to protect themselves and students. NJROTC chief David Scaramazzo says, “Certain teachers should be allowed to carry guns. Not just any teachers, but the teachers with training and know how to use a weapon. This will be a good idea if an intruder somehow makes his way into the school when they are not supposed to be there.”

The FBI promotes a run, hide, fight policy for those involved in mass shootings. Scaramazzo said it’s a great idea if people hide or run when they have or get a chance but that they should not put their lives at risk if there isn’t a chance of it. Teachers should try to protect the students and themselves in any type of way if they run, hide or fight. 

As of February 2024, ACSC isn’t considering a program where teachers can carry a firearm or get a safebox with them or in their classrooms.

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.