The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Music helps student studies

Sophomore Shiann Isenhour listens to music in class.

Even though music can be distracting, 70% of students at Anderson High School listen to more than 2 hours of music on a normal school day. Depending on a student’s learning style and the type of music he or she listens to, this could potentially help them succeed. However, music could be overly distracting for others. This can be true because, just like medicine, music doesn’t always have the same effects on everyone.

Studies show music is a helpful resource when it comes to academics because it is able to activate both sides of the brain at the same time which allows for more focus, understanding, and improved memory.

But it also depends on what type of music is being listened to. Different types of music have a different effect on the brain.

It is believed that classical music is the most helpful when it comes to feeling less stressed out along with helping students stay focused on what they’re doing or learning. Music also allows students to connect information they are taking in with specific lyrics or sounds throughout the song. Although classical music helps with education the most, less than 2% of Anderson High School students listen to classical music during school hours.

Hip-hop and rap music can have different effects on different people. So although most people think it is distracting,which it can be, that isn’t always true.

If the right person is listening to hip-hop and rap music it can help them in various ways rather than distracting them. The music genres can be uplifting and allow the student to feel less stressed and anxious. This helps in school especially since school can be very stressful at times. Hip-hop and rap also help with mental issues in students and can also boost motivation.

Music doesn’t always help people in the same ways, and sometimes it doesn’t help at all. It just depends on the person’s brain and how they react to it. Everyone reacts to it differently so what is helpful to some isn’t helpful to others. The listener just has to find out what’s right for them.

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.