The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Principal Shimer comments on upcoming phone ban

Starting July 1 students across Indiana will no longer be able to use their phones in school. The governor signed a new law banning cell phones, tablets, laptops, and gaming devices except for educational purposes.

Principal Scott Shimer.

Anderson High School Principal Scott Shimer said the law will, “Create a policy that refrain students from allowing any type of utilization of a phone in a classroom.”

Students won’t be able to use phones in the classroom because they are a distraction.

“The legislation believes that the phones are disruptive to the educational process,” Shimer said.

Freshman Eric Rosas Santiago uses his phone in class.

According to NPR, Indiana Rep Julie McGuire said, “While we cannot control the amount of time students spend on social media outside school hours, we can provide reprieve during the seven hours per day that should be focused on learning.”

Shimer said that students are already familiar with the “silent and away” policy at AHS. The policy means students must turn the volume down on their phones and put them out of sight.

“Our students are used to it and they understand,” Shimer said.

Shimer said that AHS must follow the new guidelines. “It’s the law, we have to do it.” 

We are already in the process of doing what they’re requiring. The administration plans to make some small tweaks and hopefully it’ll continue in the path it’s on.

Shimer said students still have to follow the policy so if AHS already has this policy in place where it says students can’t have their phones, it doesn’t matter if a student is finished with homework or not. If that teacher was following the guidelines, those phones have to stay away.

Shimer said if people have their phones with them and they don’t want to be tempted they can give it to the teacher.

“There are a lot of teachers that have that in place,” Shimer said. “There’ll be options there.”

Shimer said there will not be a lot of change but AHS is going to make sure we follow what we need to follow.

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.