The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Breaking News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Indians grand slam their way to success

Junior Isaac Mckenzie describes baseball as a game within a game. The players physically exert themselves on the field, while mentally the team is focused on one thing: a comeback season. The team is going 4-6 as of  April 25, an improvement from this time last year.

In comparison last season the team went 12-18 overall. The team also experienced a brutal 6 game losing streak. 

Mckenzie noticed a major downfall of the team last season was infighting and losing sight of their goals as a team. 

Mckenzie plays left and right field. During practice Mckenzie works on his footwork and catching fly balls. 

At practice Mckenzie also sees major attitude changes. This attitude shift is mainly encouraged by the new coaching staff. However being a mentor heavily falls on juniors and seniors.

¨We have significantly better leadership from juniors and seniors,¨ said Mckenzie. 

Mckenzie takes pride in the new attitude of players and enjoys watching players gain confidence. However getting down on yourself is very common in the sport. Mckenzie explained that getting in a slump happens often, but how players respond is about perspective. 

“Even when we have terrible games there will always be another game and another pitch, you always have another chance to improve.” 

Players need to be reminded how often failure happens in baseball. A batting average of .300 is considered good, but Mckenzie says someone who bats .300 “fails 7 out of 10 times.”

“Trying to be a leader while being in a slump is one of the hardest things you can do,” Mckenzie said.   

Sophomore Ke´avon Burt values the leadership from older members on the team like Mckenzie and senior Dontrez Fuller.

“I have love for all my guys and they’re always supportive,” Burt said.

¨The biggest struggle from 8th grade coming to high school has been switching positions from outfield to infield,¨ said Burt. 

Despite the major change, Burt still made varsity as a freshman. Burt said that being a freshman on varsity added extra stress before games.

However, his teammates helped him through it. Burt views Fuller as a mentor. “Dontrez inspires me because he plays my position and is good at what he does.”  

Fuller was recognized as one of the Elite 11 athletes from around Madison County for this year. Fuller goes out of his way to show leadership and is taking his role of being a senior very seriously.

“As a leader I feel like I have to be strategic and decisive.” Fuller said 

Burt takes inspiration from Fuller’s attitude. ¨I try to keep everyone in good spirits, reminding teammates that it’s a game and you will get a second chance,” Burt said.

Burt has had a very successful high school baseball career so far. Burt is ranked number two in the North Central Conference for stolen bases.  

Burt is not the only player to be ranked for performance in the NCC. Senior pitcher Jaxon Milburn is ranked number three for strikeouts this season.

Milburn believes that the team will be in good hands after he graduates. “My younger teammates are definitely paving the way” said Milburn.

Milburn gave a special shoutout to sophomore Kaydin Hutchinson and freshmen Hunter Anderson.

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.