The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Breaking News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Checking in with graduated seniors

Former Anderson High School students Mylicia Smith and Lizzi Horton are both living their life to the fullest while still maintaining a steady job and keeping up with classes.

Lizzi Horton with a group of friends at Purdue University.

Horton is keeping up with classes as she studies Neurobiology and Physiology on a pre-med track at Purdue University. Lizzi chose Purdue University after going on campus visits to both Purdue and IU. “Both visits I took were tailored to their newly admitted students,” Horton said. However, she felt Purdue was more welcoming and had much more to offer to her academically and personally than IU did. 

Horton is loving college life but Smith took another route that she felt was best for her. Smith is working with her mother in an office which is very loving and fitting for her. “I am not in college, high school was emotionally draining enough for me,” Smith said. 

Horton is focusing on her studies at the moment rather than also trying to maintain a job. “I chose not to work this first semester so that I could get myself acclimated to my new schedule and routine,” said Horton. “I may seek employment next semester, but I probably won’t until my sophomore year so that I have a better understanding of how to manage my time.” 

When she does happen to have free time you could find her walking around exploring the campus because there is always something going on. Horton  says “I enjoy working out at our CoRec facility, as well as hanging out with my friends, both new and ones from AHS.” 

Adult life is more expensive for both graduated seniors than they thought. Smith said, “Adult life sucks. My mom won’t even pay for my McDonalds anymore.” Smith’s favorite part about adult life is that she gets to wake up to make money rather than having a math test handed to her at 7 in the morning.

Mylicia Smith at work with her mother.

Horton is working around the prices of adult life but always making it work. She says “There are many things, like toiletries that I use daily and have noticed they must be replaced quickly. I believe college has already begun to teach me how to be frugal in some areas.”

Horton and Smith both miss certain parts of high school. “I only miss Mr. Cleckley,” said Smith. “Shout out to the Criminal Justice Classes, especially the class I was with!” 

Though Horton misses some social aspects of high school, she doesn’t miss the academic side of it. She misses things like sporting events and spirit week, which were always a blast for her. 

If high school isn’t working for students, Horton encourages them to try college life.

Horton said, “The way college runs is more beneficial to my learning in comparison to how high school works.”

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.