The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Freshman prepares for 2024 racing season starting

Racers across 11 divisions started the racing season on March 30 at Anderson Speedway. Young racers can drive anything from USAC midget-class cars to muscle cars. 

Freshman Samuel Buntin is beginning. (Gaige Hulett)

Freshman Samuel Buntin is nervous about the racing season starting. Samuel has practiced before but not driven in a full race yet. This will be Buntin’s first year in the front-wheel-drive category.

Buntin said his practice did not go well. Buntin stated, “Racing is not easy with the people out there on the track.” Buntin faces challenges in racing such as getting wrecked, catching fire, and other hazards. 

His car is a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire front-wheel-drive. The only thing wrong with it is that he needs a new tire because his keeps going flat. Racers can’t get a flat tire mid race because they will fall back many laps.

Buntin’s car, a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire (Gaige Hulett).

Buntin has a team; he races with the Lane family. He has really enjoyed being on the team with them. It’s just been a long, rough off-season because of all the work they have to do. 

If the race director calls a strike during a race, then a racer will face consequences including being sent to the back of the pack. Sometimes, however, these directors make mistakes. Buntin estimated that there will only be three bad calls in his upcoming season. A racer can be in first place and not even be involved in the crash and they might send him to the back. Then, Buntin said, he would be sitting frustrated because he didn’t do anything wrong. 

Racing is a very hard sport to judge once one understands how many cars are out there at once. Buntin understands being upset about a bad call, but taking it out on the employees isn’t right because almost every race they have over 20 cars to watch. 

Racers appreciate the rules officials because they prevent dirty driving. Buntin said he doesn’t like dirty drivers at all because they are only there to tear stuff up. 

Buntin is going to be racing at Anderson Speedway race track this year. He said he will try being out on the track this April 20.

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.