The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Breaking News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Sroufe: If you miss your birdie, just practice again!

Senior Tyler Sroufe tees off at Grandview Golf Course.

Senior Tyler Sroufe is one of four boys in golf at Anderson High School. Golf is unique because players have to choose from different types of clubs to account for changing conditions on the course. Choosing the correct club can determine whether a person scores high or low. A high score is a bogey and a low score is a birdie.

Sroufe lines up a putt while a Lapel golfer watches intently.

“My favorite club is my putter. It’s a Spyder,” Sroufe said.

The putter won’t work all the time, though. Tyler has to make sure he chooses the correct club for the situation. There are a lot of clubs: irons, woods, drivers, wedges, chippers, and putters. A player starts with a certain number of clubs, but switching clubs is allowed at the end of the round.

Sroufe is one of the best golfers at AHS. He has been playing golf since he was three years old.

“I started playing with my dad,” Sroufe said. Still, Sroufe says golfers should practice multiple times a day regardless of experience. Sroufe’s dream is to one day play the golf course at Augusta, which is where the Master’s tournament is held.

Even though golf is an individual sport, the boys still communicate as a team.

Sroufe shoots from the fairway.

“After matches, we go and sit down and talk,” Sroufe said.

Sroufe said if you are interested in learning golf, you need a lot of practice and skill.

“First you have to know how to grip the club and also know how to swing and the whole 9 yards,” Sroufe said.

Students who want to play golf next year should see Mr. Graybiel to sign up.

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.