The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Breaking News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

New teachers here at AHS are moving into their rooms

Here at Anderson High School we have gotten two new teachers. We’ve gotten Melody Hood, a math teacher, and Andrea Etchison, who is an English teacher. 

Ms. Hood poses for a photo at her new desk.

Melody Hood is the new math teacher. She had a passion to teach mathematics at a high school level.

“It’s my dream job,” Hood said. She came to Anderson to teach in the subject that she wanted and teach in the environment she wanted to teach in. Hood said she loves it here but it’s a little chaotic and she is finding her groove.

Her favorite parts of working at Anderson are that “the staff is welcoming, how interactive the students are, and how much school spirit we have.” Hood has some criticisms, too, though.

“I hate the one minute bell, its annoying,” Hood said. She loves the students but she wishes they were more into the lesson instead of slugging around.

“I love when I can see the light bulb moments popping in their heads to answer questions,” Hood said. Teaching was her first choice and only choice.

Andrea Etchinson is the new English teacher. She likes being around kids. They keep her going and moving. She also likes the light bulb moments. Etchison does have connections here in Anderson. Her great grandmother and great grandfather were the county assessors. They sold property to GM on 38 St. Etchison retired from Frankton after 30 years of teaching high school and she thought she could retire.  However, Etchison quickly realized she needed a job to pay insurance. She taught kindergarten at Valley Grove for nine weeks.

Ms. Etchison helps her new students with classwork.

Etchison said, “I would rather teach high schoolers than kindergartners.”  She loves it here. She loves the kids there. They are very respectful.

“They follow the rules so far, the administration is great, they have everything in order and the teachers have been very helpful,” Etchinson said. She doesn’t like how she doesn’t know everybody. She thinks her students have been very cooperative and not intuitive but English isn’t that easy of a subject to be intuitive in. Students have been kind and very helpful. Her favorite part to teach in class is teaching how to appreciate reading and gain knowledge. Teaching was not her first choice, actually being a park ranger was her first choice. 

Students have said they like these new teachers because they are not on to you for everything. They have also said how happy they are that they came here to teach here. If you see either of these two new teachers in the hallway, say what’s up and dab ‘em up.

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.