The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Breaking News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Students build racecars for Anderson Speedway

Freshman Gaige Hulett has a hobby that may seem unique to other students. Hulett builds cars for the races at Anderson Speedway on Saturdays in the summer. Many people in Anderson love to race and watch racing because the Speedway is right here in town. 

Hulett repairs cars in the Tharps’ garage and the Grays’ garage where he prepares cars for the track.

“With tools it’s easy but when you don’t have tools to do it then it’s hard,” Hulett said. 

According to a YouTube video from Krueger Motorsports, a team that races at Anderson Speedway, the tools and parts are spindles, upper and lower control arms, wheels, shocks, springs, tires, ball joints, sleeves, rotor pads and more.

Effort also plays a part in how successful a racecar build is.

“It depends on how hard the people work on the team and how much effort they put into the car,” Hulett said.

Hulett said many people in Anderson love to watch racing because the speedway is right here in town. However, it may be hard to get involved in racing other than as a spectator.

“Most racecar drivers don’t want people to come in there and start doing stuff.”

Hulett does have some tips for people who really want to get involved, however. 

“You can’t sign up for it unless you know people who are doing it,” Hulett said. “You can meet people who are doing it by showing up to the racetrack. Drivers are always walking around the stands. Let them know that they still have support in the garage instead of just on the track.”

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.