The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

The Overwhelming Weight of Finals

As the end of the semester soon approaches, students find themselves in a constant loop of anxiety with sleepless nights and endless study sessions. Yes, it’s that time of the year again finals. These seemingly “innocent” exams carry a burden that can make even the most successful individuals buckle under pressure. Let’s dive into the reasons why finals are too stressful.

First and foremost, finals often a grand significant portion of a student’s grade. The weight placed upon these exams can be very overwhelming to any student especially to those who are already failing. Even students who are passing are under a lot of pressure. Your basically leaving students feeling as though their entire academic future is in their hands. The fear of failure is very grand, fueling constant worry and anxiety.

Secondly, final exams adds to the stress. Students are expected to demonstrate their understanding of a semester’s worth of material within a limited time frame. The amount of time they have to learn multiple subjects is no joke. Students are expected to come to school at 7 in the morning and just start learning. Most students don’t have enough time to even get ready in the morning let alone sit in a classroom and learn for about 7-8 hours. On top of that students are out here having 7 to 10 classes plus all of the extra activities their involved in after school as in sports, clubs, chores even. Most students have tons of responsibly when they get home which doesn’t really give them time to study. The lack of time for self care during the final exam period can take a roll on students mental and physical health. Such as sleep deprivation and poor nutrition this become unfortunate side effects of the frantic race to prepare for exams. This imbalance further contributes to stress and can have long term issues on a students overall health.
Additionally, it’s not just about passing the exam it’s about outperforming peers. The desire to achieve top grades and stand out among the crowd from others is honestly insane, as students feel the need to prove their worth and secure a promising future. The anticipation of the unknown can be anxiety inducing. No matter how well prepared students may feel there is always something that will bother them and what the exam will entail. This unpredictability fuels stress and anxiety, as students are in fear of encountering unfamiliar or challenging questions that they haven’t studied for.

In conclusion, finals bring about an overwhelming amount of stress for students. The weight placed upon these exams, the condensed nature of the material, the competition, and the overall toll on students well being create a perfect storm of anxiety. It is very crucial for educators and institutions to recognize the mental and emotional strain that finals impose on students and to consider that students are human. After all, education should be about fostering growth and learning, not pushing students to their breaking point.

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.