The Student News Site of Anderson High School

Anderson Student News

Breaking News

Anderson Student News

Anderson Student News

Saluting our Veterans and honoring their courage and service to our country

This is a picture of Lorie Fox in her U.S Army helicopter.There are many people in the United States that are in the Navy, Army, Marines, Coast Guard, or Air Force. It is important to celebrate them on November 11 because we honor all who have served the United States of America.

My aunt Lorie Fox was in the Army for 26 years and she wanted to be a helicopter mechanic and the army put in a contract so she could be one. She joined the army when she was 17 and she retired at age 44. She loved the job she had as working in the army.

Fox said, “I was scared when I was in the army because I didn’t know if I was going to come home to my family and my son. My dad also served in the army as well and I just wanted to be in the army.’’

Fox loved being in the army and helping everyone out. Not every day in the army was a happy one for Fox, however.

Fox said the worst thing that happened in the army was, “A good friend and coworker was killed in a helicopter crash. I was very heartbroken when she passed away. She will forever be missed.”

Fox retired in 2012 because she was in a horrible motorcycle accident one morning on her way to work which eventually ended her army career.

Fox said, “I had so many memories when I was in the army. My favorite thing to do as a soldier was to fly in my  helicopter and go to the range and fire my machine gun.”

Fox did come home to see her family she loved when she was able to come home and see her son and family.

Fox, like many other US veterans, is a hero for defending our freedom! 

Donate to Anderson Student News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Anderson High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.